The Caribbean integration arrangement is critical to the work of the Trade Directorate and is the foundation on which most of the activities are undertaken and on which trade relations are built. Trinidad and Tobago is a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) which comprises 15 members.
The Council for Trade and Economic Development (COTED) is the body responsible for the promotion of trade and economic development of the Community. Some of the current issues on COTED’s agenda are as follows:
- Strategic Direction for Growth and Development;
- Regional Strategic Plan 2015-2019;
- Matters related to CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME);
- Trade in Goods/Suspensions of Common External Tariff;
- Regional Standards; and
- Private Sector Engagement