December 20, 2017:- The Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) is advising consumers to refer to the updated list of authorised used car dealers registered with the Ministry’s Trade Licence Unit (TLU) before entering any financial arrangement. As the Consumer Affairs Division (CAD) continues to provide information to protect and educate consumers, a revised listing which was generated by TLU, is now available to members of the public.
The list of three hundred and seventy-seven (377) dealers, can guide buyers who are considering the purchase of used cars to select an authorised dealer. The list categorises dealers/businessmen who have met established criteria as mandated by law and registered by the TLU.
Consumers are advised that when purchasing used cars to complete the following checks. Purchasers should ensure:
- The dealer is registered with the MTI’s TLU
- The vehicle tyres are approved by the Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards
- The stipulated age requirements for the vehicle year is adhere to (Gas/Hybrid vehicle is at most four (4) years old or Diesel vehicle is at most three (3) years old)
- The vehicle is inspected carefully (preferably with a mechanic) to ensure functionality, before purchase
- A Warranty is received upon purchase
When a vehicle is purchased from an authorized used car dealer, the CAD/TLU is empowered to intervene and lend support in the event of a complaint. The list of registered used car dealers can be found here or the CAD’s Facebook page @consumeraffairstt.